For centuries, leather has been a staple for producing clothing and accessories as well as household and automotive items. From clothing to furnishings and beyond, leather has proven to be a beautiful and durable material for all manner of items. Proper leather care and leather conditioning is crucial to maintaining those qualities. Just like our skin, as leather ages, it can become dry and cracked. A good leather conditioner can not only moisturize, but also waterproof and stain block your leather. Leather comes in a wide array of colors and textures depending on the type of hide, the tanning process, whether any dyes were used, or whether it has been treated in some way.
Is leather care really necessary?
Absolutely! If you have leather items in your home - shoes, handbags, lounge chairs, or any number of other leather pieces, leather care can improve the appearance of your leather. You can also extend their life with a few simple steps that will clean and deep condition your leather goods.
It is important to note that leathers like suede or nubuck are a very different texture and require specific leather care. Never use liquid or paste to care for these types of leather, as it will permanently alter the nap and appearance of the leather. Super VII Leather Balsam should not be used on nubuck or suede.
While it is critical to properly clean leather from the time it is new, even older leather can reap the benefits of care and the application of a quality leather conditioner. For smooth leathers, you can follow these simple leather care instructions that will help ensure the long life of your leather pieces.
First Step: Leather Cleaning
Begin any leather cleaning or deep conditioning of your leather by testing a small hidden section of the piece. This will ensure that you will not affect the color or texture of the hide.
- Begin the leather cleaning process with a dry microfiber cloth to remove any dust or dirt from the surface.
- If necessary, rub a damp cloth across some moisturizing face soap and gently wash the affected area of the leather.
- Once dry, make sure to use a quality leather deep conditioner like Super VII Leather Balsam to prevent further damage or staining.
Using the Best Leather Conditioner
Finding a superior leather conditioner to treat your leather pieces can be challenging. Your leather pieces are not the place for trial an error when testing out a new leather conditioner. We recommend Super VII Leather Balsam. Made with all natural beeswax and jojoba oil, Super VII Leather Balsam naturally protects, waterproofs, restores, and moisturizes leather. In addition to working on all types of smooth leather, Super VII also works as a great conditioner on vinyl and imitation leather. In fact, is the only deep conditioner we use on our own leather products. Be sure to test any leather conditioner on an inconspicuous spot to test the affect it might have on the color or texture of your leather. A leather deep conditioner may initially darken your leather. Allow 7 days for the true color to settle, as the color will lighten as the leather conditioner absorbs into the leather.
Using Super VII Leather Balsam Leather Conditioner
- Gently rub a small amount of the leather conditioner on the surface with the sponge provided. If you are using a product other than Super VII Leather Balsam or if you do not have the sponge, a chamois cleaning cloth or other soft cloth will work.
- There is no need to rub hard or vigorously. Gently work the deep conditioner into the leather.
- You will immediately begin to see a difference in the surface of the leather. As the leather conditioner is applied, leather will begin to become more supple and smooth.
- Deep conditioners may cause leather to darken initially. As the conditioner absorbs into the leather, the color will lighten again, but the leather will remain smooth and soft.
Many people believe that leather care is time intensive and expensive. This is simply not the case. With just a little time and the proper leather care and deep conditioner, your leather products can be easily maintained. Even dry, cracked, and worn leather can begin to regain some of its original sheen, durability, and beauty. Just as you would apply lotion to dry skin, this deep conditioner should be applied when you notice that your leather is getting dry and cracked. With consistent care, your leather pieces will look beautiful and last for years.
Indian Summer Leather Design produces fine leather purses and bags for individuals who love practical and versatile designs. We provide a vast array of stunning leather bags, as well as being the only distributor in North America and Canada for Super VII. Super VII Leather Balsam is made in Germany, and Indian Summer Leather Design imports the leather conditioner directly from the manufacturer. We are the only distributor in North America and Canada for Super VII. For more information about proper leather care, or to purchase Super VII Leather Balsam, visit our online store or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Find us on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/IndianSummerLeatherDesign